Pages

Thursday 11 January 2018

Week Four : Day Three : Activities 1, 2 + Bonus Activity

Day 3: Social Systems
Activity 1: Mixed-Member Proportional (MMP)
In 1996, New Zealand adopted the MMP voting system.
In September of 2017 we had a national election.
Everyone in New Zealand, over the age of 18, was invited
to vote for who they wanted to form the next government
in New Zealand. The race was really close and in the end,
three different political parties (Labour, New Zealand First
and the Green Party), came together to form the new
government. It is called a ‘coalition government’ because
it includes different people from different political parties.

Imagine that you had to form a coalition government with
two other people. Who would you choose to partner with?

I would form a coalition with my son, Aronui, and with my
friend, Amber. Aronui would be a great addition to the
coalition because he is funny and kind. He would make us
laugh and take care of us. Amber would be great because
she is really smart and thoughtful. She is also good at
making decisions. I think that we would form a great team.
What about you? Who would you choose? Why?

If I were to form a coalition government with two other people
I would choose to partner with my two Best Friends Aaliyah
and Von. I would choose Aaliyah because she’s always
supportive and is full of great ideas. I would choose Von
because she’s one of the funniest people in the world and
she would always provide with different suggestions.

Activity 2: Migration
Over the past few decades, there has been a huge rise in
the number of people coming to New Zealand to live and/or
travel. I was one of those people! In fact, I moved with my
family to New Zealand in 2010 and I am so glad that I did.
It’s a pretty amazing place to call home! At the moment I
live about 10 minutes from three stunning beaches and a
beautiful national park.

Speaking of home, where do you live? On your blog, please
post a picture of your hometown and provide a list of three
things that tourists, like us, could do if we came to visit.
What do you like most about your hometown? (Remember
the guidelines for being Cybersmart, and never post your
address online).

My hometown of Almonte, Ontario
My Hometown:
I live in Auckland, New Zealand. I mostly like the places,
(beaches, parks, playgrounds).
- There are various parks to go to.
- Many beautiful beaches to admire.
- Kelly Tarltons / Aquarium

Bonus Activity: Modern Learning Environments
Over the past few years, a number of schools have
changed the way that they teach. Instead of one teacher
working in one classroom with one group of students,
some schools have built huge classrooms where many
teachers work together to teach a big group of students.
This is called a ‘Modern Learning Environment’ (MLE).
IMG_0725.JPG


Some people prefer Modern Learning Environments while
others aren’t so sure. Take a look at the pictures above.
The one on the left is a photograph of a traditional
classroom, and the picture on the right is of a Modern
Learning Environment.


Imagine that you are a teacher, and design your own
classroom. What would it look like? What furniture
would you have? I would love to have some beanbags
for reading on.

Draw a floorplan of your classroom (either in Google Draw
or on paper) and upload it to your blog. Describe what is
special about your classroom and why you designed it this way.

I’ve drawn a classroom with pink carpet and bright coloured
tables. I also included a kitchen so that we can do cooking
every day and a HUGE bookshelf because I love to read!
What would you like to see in your classroom?

My Classroom Floor Plan:


BONUS POINTS: 18

1 comment:

  1. Hey there Mikaela, I've enjoyed reading about who you would form a coalition with, Aaliyah and Von. I don't know Von but I have seen Aaliyah's amazing blog and I think you've made an excellent choice with her. What do you think would happen if the three of you disagreed on something? How might you resolve this?

    Also, thank you for sharing your hometown of Auckland with us. I live here too. There is certainly a lot to do, both natural and man made activities. There are activities for both wet and sunny days. I go to lots of concerts at so many different venues. Some are small and some are huge. It really is a cool city. What sort of things do you do if the weather is rainy, wet and miserable?

    Hey your classroom design is fantastic. I never thought about having a kitchen in the classroom, what a wonderful idea. When you are cooking and baking you are often learning about measurement too. So there's your maths curriculum covered!

    In my classroom I would definitely have a giant fish tank, the children would love learning about life under the sea. I would also have wobbly chairs, bean bags and cushions, to sit on, relax and read a book. It would be cool to have whiteboard tables that you can draw on and rub off. There really are so many possibilities for classrooms.

    What is your classroom at school like?

    Thank you, Billy

    ReplyDelete