Pages

Friday 5 January 2018

Week 3 : Day Five : Activities 1, 2 + Bonus Activity

Day 5: Maintaining the Status Quo
(The 1990’s)
Activity 1: Hiking Tongariro
tongariro.jpg
In 1990, one of the largest national parks in New Zealand,
Tongariro, was listed as a World Heritage Site. It is a truly
spectacular place to visit! Thousands of people go to
Tongariro every year and hike the Tongariro Crossing.
Visit the Tongariro website to learn more about the one-day
hike.

On your blog tell us what you would need to pack if you
were going to hike the Tongariro Crossing. What should
you bring with you? Write a list of at least 5 items.
Other than making sure that you have the right equipment,
what else should you do before heading out on a big hike?
Click here to learn how to stay safe while you’re hiking.
Items for my Tongariro Crossing Hike:
> Water Bottle : Hydration : Enough Water to keep myself
hydration
> Lunch : Healthy Snacks : Enough Lunch to keep myself
energized
> Warm Jacket for cold windy weather : Rain Jacket/Coat for
Wet Weather
> A BackPack that will hold all my belongings
> Comfortable shoes to wear along the Hike
> First Aid Kit
> Entertainment : Camera to take photos
What I Need to do Before leaving for my Hike:
> I need to Plan my Trip by making sure I know where I’m
going and how I am going to get there.
> I need to tell my family and friends where I will be, when
I will be going and how long I will be gone for.
> I also need to be able to be aware of the weather and
make sure I have the right clothing.
> Lastly I need to make sure of what food, clothing and
electronics I have before I leave.

Activity 2: Leading New Zealand
In the 1990s, four different individuals served as the Prime
Minister of New Zealand – Geoffrey Palmer, Mike Moore,

On your blog, write a short profile of one of our former Prime
Ministers. Upload a photo of them with your post. Click on
this link to find a copy of the template. Click on file and then
click make a copy. This will save the blank template to your
Google Drive so that you can fill it in. Post the completed
template to your blog to earn points for this activity.







Profile of Mike Moore:

Bonus Activity: You Have to Pay to Play
In 1990, for the first time in New Zealand’s history, universities
and polytechnics started charging students money to go to
school. Prior to then, it had been free to go to university or to
a polytechnic.
Since 1990, students have had to pay thousands of dollars
to attend post-secondary (after high school) education.
The new Labour government have promised to give up to
three years of free post-secondary education to all New
Zealanders by 2020!

On your blog, tell us what you think. Should students have
to pay money (tuition fees) to go to university?
Why or why not?

My Opinion:
I think that students shouldn’t have to pay money to attend
university because if there are students that have great
belief in going to university and leading a good future then
they should be able to go to university and learn about what
they want to do for a living.


BONUS POINTS: 18

4 comments:

  1. Hey Mikaela, wow you are so organised! What a terrific hiker you must be.

    Water, food, clothing, you've got it sorted!

    What sort of healthy food would you bring?

    What do you think you would have for breakfast that morning?

    It's such a good idea to tell people what you're about to do. It might be worthwhile going on the website and checking out some photos, or talking to someone who has done it before and ask them what to except or what would be a good idea to bring.

    I want to hike the Tongariro Crossing now!

    Have you been on a hike before? You sound as though you have.

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mikaela,

    You have great ideas of what you need to bring with you on your hike but my favorite one over all is the camera, because it is very helpful to capture all the interesting moments and animals you may encounter.

    If you were going to take a friend who would you take and why?

    I couldn't see your Mike Moore profile but I bet the info would be really good.

    Maybe next time you could check your posts to see if you need to edit anything.

    I totally agree with you it should be free especially since everyone says you need a good education.

    Would you like to go to University when your older?

    Keep up the Phenomenal work!

    Katelyn : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Mikaela, I really liked reading your thoughts on whether or not students should have to pay fees to attend university. I like what you have said about how people should have an opportunity to chase their future and improve their lives. I agree with you! They shouldn't have to be prevented from attending university and furthering their studies just because they can't afford the fees. It would be unfair to deny people the chance of becoming the best person they can be.

    Do you think you would go to university when you are older? What might you study?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia Ora Mikaela,

    I'm here to comment on Activity 2: Leading New Zealand.
    Another student who is a fan of Mr. Michael Moore! It's interesting that he served as the New Zealand Ambassador in America; what a position to be in.
    How do you think Mr. Moore would have felt having had met Barack Obama?
    Maybe next time you could make this template a bit bigger so that your viewers can see it more clearly.

    Keep up the great work!

    Cheers,

    Jordan.

    ReplyDelete